At Holy Cross, there are 3 Golden Threads that weave throughout our curriculum. They are:
- Ingenuity and Enterprise
- Hope, Aspiration and Courageous Advocacy
- Spiritual, Moral and Living Well Together
Examples of themed days and projects that promote these Golden Threads are:
- All in a Pickle – a real maths project that had pupils growing vegetables, making pickles and chutneys, designing labels and taking a stall at the Uckfield Saturday Farmers’ Market.
- Secrets of Successful People Week – where ex-Holy Cross pupils came back to Holy Cross to talk about their successes in life and what attitudes helped them to become successful.
- Campaign Against Plastic – pupils demonstrated their courageous advocacy by getting justifiably angry at how plastic affects our environment. They joined forces with Brighter Uckfield to carry out a mammoth Litter Pick of the local area.
- Day of Pilgrimage – pupils carried out a pilgrimage to St Margaret the Queen Church in Buxted Park. It was a 5-mile round trip. Once at the church, pupils gave thanks for their loved ones and laid pilgrim shells in a basket on the alter.
- May Parade – every May, pupils celebrate the coming of summer by parading through the streets of Uckfield accompanied by the Holy Cross Giants. The parade is led by a melodeon player and the pupils stop at various points to sing. Our favourite Holy Cross anthem is, ‘Sussex by the Sea’. Pupils and staff dress in green along the lines of Jack in the Green, the Hastings festival.
- Children as Leaders of Worship Day – pupils from across the school get together to lead worship with little interference from school staff.
- RE Day of Prayer – pupils participate in a day of prayer.