Our links with Holy Cross Church
Holy Cross Church of England Primary School was founded in 1850 by members of Holy Cross Church. During 2020, we will be celebrating 170 years since the school was founded. Pupils at Holy Cross regularly attend worship at the church, where they are always greeted very warmly by Father John and his dog, Sophie.
There has been a church on the current site since 1291, although it was originally a small chapel, but by the end of the fourteenth century a bell tower, chancel and east window had been added.
In 1839 this building was demolished save for the tower and a small part of the south wall of the chancel. At that stage William Moseley rebuilt the church increasing its size and height by adding a spire. The church was then dedicated to the Holy Cross.
In 1846 Uckfield became a parish, it previously having been just a chapel to Buxted parish church. In 1875 the incumbent, who had previously been known as the Perpetual Curate, became the Rector.
From 1883 onwards various alterations were made to the church including moving the pulpit from the right to the left-hand side of the nave, the extension of the chancel and resetting of the mediaeval window in the new east end. The clock faces were installed in 1894 The north porch was made into an organ chamber and the south porch a choir vestry, although this later became the chapel of the Sacred Passion of Christ. There were box pews in the church until the late 1800s.